We are proud to announce that the latest release of CentOS, version 8, is now available to deploy!
There are many improvements in this new release, many so that we recommend customers to start deploying it, instead of deploying CentOS 6 or 7.
New features include:
- A newer kernel, version 4.18, that is shown to provide better disk IO performance.
- The networking stack has been upgraded, providing higher performance, scalability and more stability.
- The firewalld daemon has been greatly improved.
- The new yum package manager is faster, with a great API and supports modular content.
- Python 3.6, node.js, PHP 7.2, Ruby 2.5, Perl 5.26 are now the default versions.
- Database servers, such as MariaDB, have all been updated. MariaDB is now version 10.3 and MySQL is version 8.0.
- As for web servers, Apache is now version 2.4 and ngingx 1.14 is now included.
- Varnish Cache is now included, at version 6.0.
This new CentOS is based on Fedora 28; Fedora being RedHat's more experimental Linux.
Sign up to ColossusCloud to begin deploying CentOS 8. CentOS versions 6 and 7 are still available, as well as other popular Linux distributions and Windows, including Windows 7, Windows 10, and Windows Servers 2012, 2016 and 2019.
We hope you enjoy the new CentOS!